Friday, January 20, 2012

Morning in Ventimiglia.

This morning I popped onto a 15 minute train ride to Italy. I wish it wasn't that long, but who am I to complain? (JOKING). On Friday mornings, there is a huge outdoor flea market type thing that people from all over the world go to. There is a large covered food area where locally grown fruits, vegetables, cheeses, breads, and much more are sold! If this isn't enticing enough, throw into the mix that it's ridiculously cheap! I got some apples, oranges, strawberries and kiwi for about 2 euro! and oh my gosh-they're freaking delicious! I also bought some mozzarella balls and just made some pasta with bell peppers, tomato, and the fresh mozzarella. Yum! After shopping around a bit we decided to buy some lunch-y foods and eat outside. I bought a large piece of focaccia bread for .80 centieme. And a chocolate croissant for .50 centieme. We indulged ourselves in our purchases before perusing the rest of the market. While walking along the sidewalks, one could casually glance to their right and see the expanses of the Meditteranean sea folding and glistening in the sun: I posted this status to my facebook when I returned: 


"I think the way the waves in the Mediterranean sea swish around and fold over each other


 mirrors the cioccolato gelato I had in Italia this afternoon. #mylife"


As the quote would hint at: we got gelato after our market experience. I got chocolate
 and it came in a little cone and it was absolutely TO DIE for. 


In addition to the great food, I also picked up my first Italian words! How exciting. I don't know how to spell them, so I guess I can't exactly share them with yall-too bad, you should hear my accent. It's lovely!


I just think it's absolutely incredible how everything is so beautiful here. I seriously feel like the luckiest girl in the world to have this great experience. Classes start on Monday-so that will be very interesting and probably consume a lot of my time. Here's the funny thing about classes. I am taking three. THREE! and everyone else (the full time non exchange students) are taking anywhere from 9-11. Is that real life? Am I a slacker American? I tried to sign up for more but the director strongly advised I didn't-I guess he thinks American's are too stupid. He legitimatly asked me if I had ever studied the Middle East before. Why would I be here if I had never studied the Middle East? weird....whatever: more free time for me! yay!


Sorry about the weird font problems in this post-I don't know what's happening....Oh I also meant to explain that I have cheese problems. Besides the fact that i'm actually obsessed with cheese, I have other issues. There is this really popular cheese here called Camembert and so I bought some and it's GREAT! It smells terrible, but that's part of the experience. Anyways though, it's BIG and I have issues trying to eat the whole thing. Like I guess it's not mandatory that I finish it in a certain amount of time, but I still feel so strange that I have this whole wheel of cheese just for me. Resolution: I told my dorm mates that they could have some. Every problem has a solution. Good thing i'm a smart American and can solve the hard ones! 


Thanks for tuning in and feel free to comment on any of the posts with reactions or questions! Ciao Bella!! (I know how to spell that)


PS I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures on here for those viewers who don't have Facebook (mhm cough cough dad cough)

3 comments:

  1. Si mangia tutto che ruota e si avranno veramente problemi di formaggio! Prova a pubblicare quella foto di facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just put that cheese in a box and mail it home. By the time it gets here, it will be VERY ripe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhhh I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. These posts are incredible. I can hear you saying everything, and see you in every situation... virtually I guess... I wish I could in real life... but, oh well.

    Loved the font mix up too, seriously cracking up... Natasha (who is trying to sleep right now probably isn't too happy with me for it) hahahahha LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete